Grape : Pinot Noir
Vineyards size : 18,5 Acres (7,5 hectares)
Farming : agriculture raisonnée Although the exposure of the vineyard is rather homogeneous, its geology is rather complex: the clay limestone soil is composed of different types of limestone which define very precisely delimited micro-climates. Each of these six microclimate blocks is harvested separately as if they were different appellations. Contrary to a vast majority of Burgundy vineyards, the Clos de Tart vines are planted on a north-south line perpendicular to the slope. This planting orientation provides better conditions to fight against erosion by maintaining the soil in place during the winter rainfalls. It also allows the berries to benefit from sunlight on both sides alternatively in the morning and in the afternoon, thus assuring a better bunch maturity.
History : The Clos de Tart was founded in 1141 by the Tart Abbey Bernardine sisters, a branch of the nearby Cistercian congregation. In 1791, the Clos de Tart was purchased by the Marey-Monge family, it was then acquired by the Mommessin family, from the Mâconnais, who thus became the sole owners of this estate. This is a single plot of land covering 7.53 hectares of vines located on the Morey-Saint-Denis terroir in the Côte de Nuits. Since its creation, this Clos has never been parcelled out and it is presently the largest Grand Cru classified property in Burgundy.
The top value of the domaine : This rectangular mid slope plot (300m long -250m wide) is situated at an altitude varying from 269m to 302m. It benefits from a full east-south east exposure and is encircled with a 1.2km long stone wall, which explains the "Clos" denomination. This wall has just been entirely restored.